Sunday, December 21, 2008

Install UBuntu Linux using VMWare

Recently I ordered an Alienware PC with 64Bit windows Vista OS. Like many others, I found myself in a fix when some of the softwares required for my work did not work. The Cisco VPN client was on top of the list. Without that, I cannot connect to my work network. I started searching for a solution, and came across VMWare Workstation. Basically, VMWare allows you to install multiple Operating systems as "virtual PC". Read more about this on their website http://www.vmware.com/. You will be able to download a trial version there.


This post is about how I got started on VMWare work station. The first OS I installed was UBuntu Linux version 8.04.1, 32 bit.


To start with, you will need the installation CD for the OS. You will be able to download it free from the UBuntu Website (Free... I like it!!!). Now, dont let the word "Free" fool you... in my experience, once I spent some time with this new OS, I found that pretty much everything I do with windows, i can do with this OS, PLUS, more... the softwares I spent money for getting, in Windows OS, they ALL came free here!! Now, the best part... you stuck with any problem.... head to Google, put the problem in the search box, and you will surely get the solution from those millions of users.


  1. Once you have the Ubuntu Installation CD, its time to create the virtual disk. Start VMWare Workstation. Select "New Virtual Machine"
  2. Select the "Typical" option, and click on "Next"
  3. In the "Install From" page, select the bottom most option which says "I will install the Operating System Later", and click on "Next"
  4. Select "Linux" as the Guest operating system, and in the drop down, select "UBuntu". Click on "Next"
  5. Select a virtual machine name. This is the name which will appear in your list of machines available. For now, leave the location as it is.
  6. Select the amount of hard disk space you want to allocate for this Operating System. I would recommend 10GB if you are serious in working with the new OS with some heavy apps. However, if you are just toying around, or dont plan to do much stuff with it, just give the OS something like 5-6 GB. I have always selected the option "Store virtual disk as a single file". Click on "Next"
  7. In this final confirmation screen, there is one thing we have to change. This change is because in my experience, this is required for VPN to work from within the virtual machine. Now, click on "Customize Hardware" option.
  8. Go to "Network Adapter". Select the option "Bridged: Connected directly to the physical network". Uncheck the checkbox which says "Replicate physical network connection state".
  9. If you are using a Multi core CPU, you can take advantage of this by setting the number of "Processor" as 2.
  10. Click on "Finish" to complete virtual disk creation.
  11. Once back in the initial screen, make sure you have the OS installation DVD in your DVD drive, and select "Power On this virtual Machine". You will see the VMWare logo..etc, and if the CD/DVD is bootable, you should see the OS Installation.
  12. Congratulations... you just created a "OS inside OS"!!!.




No comments: